Friday, April 12, 2013

Challenge Yourself!

            Authors like a challenge.  By definition, we are folks who tackled the daunting task of sticking to a schedule, disciplining ourselves to stay with a project even on tough days, and ultimately finishing an entire book.

But some of us must be masochists, because we raise the bar a bit and give ourselves challenges even beyond that. We toy with torture and see if we can write an entire book without revealing that the main character is actually a woman, until the closing line.  Or we use the voice of death for our narrator (“The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak).  Or we write a poem (“Little Tree” by e.e. Cummings) where the physical silhouette of the words actually looks like a Christmas tree.  Of course, we don’t want our reader to notice, until we choose to reveal the surprise, if we reveal it at all.  Mystery writers and puzzle creators are most adept at this; it’s built into their craft.
Coleridge, when writing the great epic poem, “Kubla Khan,” had the additional challenge of being interrupted by an insurance salesman, and consequently lost his train of thought and never finished the poem.  But that was an external challenge, not one he chose.  Speaking of trains, I gave myself the challenge while writing “Pinholes Into Heaven,” never to use the word train.  This was particularly fun, since half of the book takes place on one.  My hope was to convey the feeling of the train without the reader ever noticing the missing word.
Don’t we all love to make a game out of daily tasks?  Whether it’s hitting all the green lights on your way to work, or guessing where to place your computer cursor so it’s in the right spot when a new screen pops up, we give ourselves challenges.  Someone says “Guess where I found this… or guess what this cost…” and we mentally jump in with an estimate, to see if we’re right. 
Even little kids do this, seeing how far they can jump, contriving the rules for made-up games, feeling the thrill of victory when they can spin the coin just one second longer than last time.  So my message is to give in to this innate desire to stretch just a little farther, and get your writing up onto a higher plane than where you left it yesterday.  Write a short story about a shoe salesman, but never use the actual word shoe.  Write about an artist and at the end, reveal that he or she is blind.  Make all the dialogue lines exactly five words long.  The key is not to get caught, but to do it seamlessly enough that the reader doesn’t even notice the obstacle course you’ve set up.  Then, like a satisfying mystery, they can go back through your story and realize the clues were there, but hidden in plain view.
Few writers, few people, really, can resist a challenge like this, so go for it.  Make it a short exercise, just to see if you can do it.  When I was in grad school at USC, a professor said it’s really hard to write in second person (you walk into the room, you think it looks familiar, you’re not sure, etc.) so I went home that night and cranked out a humor piece in second person, just to see if I could do it.  And it became my first Op-Ed sale to the Los Angeles Times.  Something about being told a thing is difficult or impossible makes us want to do it all the more.  I still remember a neighborhood girl poking me in the stomach when I was seven, and saying, “You aren’t ever gonna be a author!”  I had just said that’s what I wanted to be when I grew up.  And her pronouncing my future failure sealed my determination to prove her wrong.  I also discounted her opinion when she said “a” instead of “an,” but that’s another topic.
Give yourself a challenge.  You’ll be surprised at how much harder you’ll work, but also by how much more enjoyable the work will be.  And when you hit the mark, there’s a grinning satisfaction at achieving your goal. 
Here’s an idea: Write something where every paragraph begins with the next letter of the alphabet.  Oh, wait.

4 comments:

  1. How clever. I'm seeing more and more of you in Cassidy. Let's not tell him. I so wish I had your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are way too kind. And yes, we won't horrify Cassidy by pointing out the similarities to his mom! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, I always thought Kubla Khan was an unusual name, but now i think that Coleridge just goofed on the typewriter because the doorbell buzzed from the insurance guy. Maybe his fingers were one key off and he was really writing Lin;w Ljqm which would have made a much easier poem. Ah but then again, Shirley Temple would have had a hard time saying Lin;w Liqm in her movie "Wee Willie Winkie "and Caesar Romero never would have stood for that name for his character.

    I've been working on my own challenge: how to make my memoir heart warming even when my husband decides never to come home again. I always end of laughing instead of getting a lump in my throat and I don't think that will sell or even make a particularly good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your challenge is a good one, but you're equal to the task! If you can imagine a character named Lin;w Ljqm, you can do anything.

      Delete