Friday, March 8, 2013

What Good Editors Do

I've been writing all my life and have had the pleasure of working with countless editors. And it's been more pleasure with some and less with others.
Here's why: Not everyone has the editor gene. It's more than mere training, believe me. A person might be highly skilled in grammar and pacing, let's say, but can't really feel what you're saying in her heart. Or his heart. Or, in the case of most of my novels, they don't understand how comedy works. They majored in English Lit and want all books to read like Jane Austen. I could bore or regale you for hours telling horror stories of editors who tried to butcher my work, inserted insane lines and "jokes," and added so many adverbs I literally had nightmares. When I can catch it in time, I've put my foot down and refused to be published in such a mangled fashion.
But then... I've had brilliant editors whose seamless work made mine shine all the brighter. They caught moments when I drifted from the plot, they suggested repairs to hurried endings, they condensed without losing the meat-- in short, they worked miracles. It's so much more than proof reading! The bottom line is this: A good editor hears your voice and then keeps you true to that voice. Always remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment